Thursday 13 November 2008

Mirror's Edge Review - (PS3)


Well, I was asked to review this game by the guys at Parental Guidance so I blew the dust off my PS3 and booted it up. Hmm, what’s this, cell shaded graphics? Oh man, please not another XIII style game. I was pleasantly surprised as it turns out only the cut-scenes are rendered in the cartoon style; the actual game play is the usual clean 3D style we’ve gotten used to over the last few years.

If you are into Parkour (Free Jumping), you’ll love this game. I however am not in the least bit interested in doing a rather poor impression of Batman by thrusting my body about town, so I didn’t find this game particularly appealing. To be honest though, when you are chased by Police or other enemies, I must say this is where the best element of the game comes out. Although the game is fairly linear in that you are on a fixed path, when you are being chased you do feel that you are thinking on your feet, looking for the next object you can jump to.

I don’t like giving away the story line in reviews, so I won’t here. However, the story behind the game feels fairly familiar; a kind of been there, done that sort of thing. The voice acting is crap, frankly.

The game is worth picking up and playing, but to be honest, the only game I will be playing on Friday 14th is Call of Duty 5. If this game was bundled with your console, or came in some other deal, you wouldn’t be disappointed, but I don’t think I will be spending £40 on it. As I said earlier, if you are into Parkour, you won’t be disappointed to find this in your Christmas stocking but for couch potatoes like me, it doesn’t hold much appeal.

Review by: Kai Gohegan


No comments: